I am very sorry to hear that some of you (still) have problems accessing the web pages.
This is really strange as the website is definitely up and has definitely not been down in past weeks. This has also been confirmed by our network admins, and I myself have accessed und updated the pages from my home almost every day without having any troubles.
Currently we have no clue what the problem could be, but it seems to be somewhere outside the Pforzheim University domain. Some people can access the pages, others cannot. Someone reported that he could access the web pages at work (company network) and by cell phone, but not at home (private network).
A possible explanation could be that one of the global internet hubs en route is malfunctioning and does not relay the communication requests correctly, or that the problem is restricted to certain internet providers.
It would be interesting to know the geographical locations of those of you who have problems, and of those of you who have not. May that can give us a hint…
Mayhem: I am not aware of any blocking policies as we are an international university, but I will check back with the network admins.
geoanas: Thanks a lot for the information. I will pass it on to the network admins. It is great to hear that you posted about us in another forum. I am curious about the feedback.
Did I understand you (i.e. those who have problems accessing the web pages) correctly, that until some point of time the web pages could be accessed and then suddenly access stopped (when?), or did it never work at all from the very beginning?
... Did I understand you (i.e. those who have problems accessing the web pages) correctly, that until some point of time the web pages could be accessed and then suddenly access stopped (when?), or did it never work at all from the very beginning?
I just browsed through the posts in this topic and found that end of July everything worked fine (pages were accessible). I'd say the problems began somewhere between 10th to 19th of August: geoanas was first to report problems, this was 19th August (see here). And I reported on 19th August that the pages were sometimes up and sometimes down during the past days (perhaps these "Ups" and "Downs" were due to the different internet connections that I used).
"Did I understand you (i.e. those who have problems accessing the web pages) correctly, that until some point of time the web pages could be accessed and then suddenly access stopped (when?), or did it never work at all from the very beginning?"
Thanks for your post. I hadn't any problem accessing the gallery until mid of August ...like Helmut said to his previous post...and I still have :-(
I have checked back with our network admins. Our servers are definitely up and running, and nothing is blocked. For them it sounds like some bad (DNS) cache entry could be an explanation. Meaning, somewhere along the route a domain name or a page index is not looked up, but a cached value is used (which is a normal procedure and done for speeding things up), but this cache has become corrupted. However, usually such caches are automatically refreshed every 24 hours. So the problems should be gone after a day or so. Unless the cache has become so much messed up, that even a refresh doesn’t work…
I do not know how likely this theory is, but some things you could try are flushing your Windows or Linux DNS cache manually (just google for "dns flush"), and/or resetting your internet router hardware at home (completely switch it off, live without internet access for at least 10 minutes, and then restart your router).
Thank you for your talking with the netadmins and hints, Peer. I've tried to clear the DNS flash of Windows and my internet router (at least I tried to) but still no connection. I've downloaded all the contents via another internet connection so it's no problem for me.
I would also to thank you for your advises and for talking to net admins. I also clear the DNS cache and switched off the router but still no luck. I will download the bins and access the page from another connection at work.
Well, it was worth a try. Thanks a lot for doing so. The only other idea that I currently have is that one of the intermediate switches on the route between or net and your net(s) suffers from such a cache problem. Otherwise, I am at a loss with this. I will let you know if I find out more.
I have updated one more project on the gallery page, as the last remaining group finally also decided to release their game to the public. Have fun!
Furthermore, I have added links to a journal article and a web article about the course. Unfortunately, the texts are in German and not in English, sorry for that.
I will readdress the network problem next week when two of our network experts will be back from vacation.
Until then I hope the next posts will be about the games / projects rather than about new problems ;-)
I have related the feedback that has been given so far to the respective programmers, and it really meant a lot to them and they thought of it as a great encouragement. So thanks a lot for that! I hope there will be more :-)
This is exactly the type of course I wish was offered when I was taking cs classes in college. Truly inspiring to look at these student projects. I think I would like to try developing a game for the Vectrex . It looks like most of the games were programmed in C. I didn't know that C was an efficient enough language.