Vectrex Tournament: Vector War IX (26th Oct - 2nd Nov 2019) Sept 18, 2019 13:52:55 GMT -5 VECTREXER, playvectrex, and 6 more like this
Post by hcmffm on Sept 18, 2019 13:52:55 GMT -5
Vector War IX is over.
BASATA (valid till end of Vector War)
Nine years ago, Rob Maerz, well known in the Retro scene, initiated the Vector War. The Vector War is a yearly Vectrex game tournament; Vectrex players all over the world participate. This year's Vector War IX (VW9) lasts one week and will take place from Sat 26th October till Sat 2nd November 2019. Please note that the Vector War is for both beginner and expert players. In the Vector War you can compete with other players. It's also a good opportunity to play the Vectrex games more extensively and get to know new games. BTW, 1st November is the Play Your Vectrex Day (PYVD) so on that day you've got even two good reasons to play your Vectrex.
Below, please find all details about the Vector War IX. If something shouldn't be clear, do not hesitate to ask here in this topic or send me a PM.
Please note that for qualifying only 6 out of 12 games need to be played. In round braces you'll find the threshold score (=minimum score that you have to achieve). For some games level and/or a maximum are specified.
1. Berzerk (3000)
2. Cosmic Chasm (5000)
3. Dark Tower (Game 1, 1500, maximum: Game 1 completed)
4. Hyperchase (125,0s)
5. Minestorm (15000, 150000)
6. Star Castle (7500, 75000)
7. StarTrek/StarShip - Star Trek if possible (25000, maximum: 500000)
1. 2048 (1000) - Free/binary edition
2. Frontier (2 Townsmen, 12 Townsmen) - see Townsmen gallery
3. Space Frenzy (7500)
4. Veccy Bird (4)
5. Vec-Man (2)
Info and Rules:
Begin of Contest: Saturday, 26th October 2019
End of Contest: Saturday, 2nd November 2019
24:00 Central European Time CET/MEZ, UTC-1) (=End of Saturday)
Qualification and Participation:
To qualify for the contest you must play and submit scores of 6 games of the above game list.
To submit a score:
- Check here what the current score code is.
- Play a game and try to achieve a score which is better than the threshold score of the appropriate game. The threshold score of a game is the number in round braces in the above game list.
- Take a picture of your score including the current score code and the name of the game on-screen (if possible) and post it here:
a.) Upload your picture to a free file hoster, see topic Free file hosting.
b.) Click on the "Reply" button and place the link provided by the free file hoster. Please use the "Preview" and check your posting and the correct display of your highscore image. If everything is fine you click on "Create Post" button.
- You can submit an arbitrary number of scores per day. There's one exception; on the last day of the tournament you can submit scores for two games of your choice, only.
- If a game can be marathoned (i.e. played for more than one hour), players are asked to report this. Then, a maximum score will be set by the organizer to avoid endless playing.
- Once you are qualified, your overall rank will be calculated and kept up-to-date.
Whenever you take a photoproof of your highscore, make sure you include a small paper with the current score code in the photo. Only photoproofs with visible and correct score code will be valid. Score codes during the tournament, so make sure that you first lookup the current score code before playing and taking a photo.
- Games must be played on original hardware. This means original Vectrex console and Vectrex controller. If a player doesn't use an original Vectrex controller for some reason he/she should please indicate this when posting his/her first scores. Not allowed are paddles or sensitivity-adjustable controllers, autofire dongles, autofire joysticks, or the usage of several types of controllers.
- To make things simple, photoproofs are sufficient to submit a score. Players are trusted to play fair and without cheating (no autofire dongles, game cheats, manipulating source codes or screenshots, and so on).
- In previous Vector Wars percentages played a big role. In this year you get points for your rank per game. The better your rank in a game the more points you'll get. 1st rank is always 100 points, points of all other ranks are lower and depend on the number of qualified players. Only the highest points from six games you have played will be considered. This means that the maximum number of points a player can score is 600.
1st to 3rd Winner: 1 x Vector War T-Shirt* plus 1 x Prize A, B, C, or D below. 1st Winner chooses first, second winner second, and so on.
Random Prize: Prize A to D, depending on the choice of 1st to 3rd winner. Random Prize will be drawn amongst all qualified players except the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd winner.
Prize A: Aluminum Vectrex cartridge shell donated by Tony Lindberg (fruktodlaren )*
Prize B: Boxed copy of Wireout *
Prize C: Boxed copy of Player 2 *
Prize D: Boxed copy of Stramash Zone *
*Costs for International shipping are also covered.
Availability of Games:
For qualifying in Vector War IX you have to play 6 games listed in the game list above. It can be a bit of an advantage if you have more than 6 or even all 12 games at hand.
- All original GCE/MB titles can be found on various multicartridges (e.g. Sean Kelly 60-in-1, AC 72-in-1, Madtronix Multicartridge 72-in-1 Classic (M1) , ...). Also, all all GCE ROMs can be downloaded for free.*
- Vec-Man is available for free download.
- 2048 is available for free download.*
- Veccy Bird is available for free download.*
- Space Frenzy is sold by Packrat Video Games.
- Frontier is sold by Chris Parsons (Vectorrepulic)
It's well worth visiting the individual webpages of Vec-Man, 2048, and VeccyBird to read detailed info about the games. If you are just out for all free binaries that are played in the Vector War, you can download them <here>. It's 11 free games out of 12; Frontier must be purchased.
For some games it's good to have a manual at hand to understand game play and/or scoring.
- Vectrex Game manuals@Digitpress
- Vectrex manual²s
Previous Vector Wars
VectorX has kindly gathered a lot of interesting information about the past Vector Wars in the Vectrex Wiki.
If you want to receive a notification whenever there's any news regarding the VectorWar you can bookmark this topic. At the top you click on "Actions" and choose "Bookmark". From then on you will receive an e-mail whenever someone posts in this topic.