Vectrex Tournament: Vector War XI (30th Oct - 6th Nov 2021) Sept 10, 2021 15:35:00 GMT -5 playvectrex, fmml, and 2 more like this
Post by hcmffm on Sept 10, 2021 15:35:00 GMT -5
Vector War XI will start on Saturday, 30th October 2021.
Eastern Standard Time (EST)
Central European Time (CET/MEZ)
Eleven years ago, Rob Maerz, well known in the Retro scene, initiated the Vector War. The Vector War is a yearly Vectrex game tournament; Vectrex players all over the world participate. This year's Vector War XI (VW11) lasts one week and will take place from Sat 30th October till Sat 6th November 2021. Please note that the Vector War is for both beginner and expert players. In the Vector War you can compete with other players. It's also a good opportunity to play the Vectrex games more extensively and get to know new games. BTW, 1st November is the Play Your Vectrex Day (PYVD) so on that day you've got even two good reasons to play your Vectrex.
Below, please find all details about the Vector War XI. If something shouldn't be clear, do not hesitate to ask here in this topic or send me a PM.
Please note that for qualifying only 6 out of 12 games need to be played. In round braces you'll find the threshold score (=minimum score that you have to achieve). For some games level and/or a maximum are specified.
1. Pole Position
3. Solar Quest
4. Star Trek/Star Ship
5. Tour de France
6. Web Wars
Homebrew <not final, yet>:
1. Either Gyrostronomy or Gyrostrology (Vectrex Academy, Peer)
2. Galaxy Wars / Space Launcher (Binarystar, Chris Malcolm)
3. Get that beer (Vectrex Academy, literally)4. KnightEx (Alexander von Knorring)
5. USA Zombie Apocalypse
Info and Rules:
Begin of Contest: Saturday, 30th October 2021
End of Contest: Saturday, 6th November 2021
24:00 Central European Time CET/MEZ, UTC-1) (=End of Saturday)
Qualification and Participation:
To qualify for the contest you must play and submit scores of 6 games of the above game list.
To submit a score:
- Check here what the current score code is.
- Play a game and try to achieve a score which is higher than the threshold score of the appropriate game. The threshold score of a game is the number in round braces in the above game list.
- Take a picture of your score including the current score code and the name of the game on-screen (if possible) and post it here:
a.) Upload your picture to a free file hoster, see topic Free file hosting.
b.) Click on the "Reply" button and place the link provided by the free file hoster. Please use the "Preview" and check your posting and the correct display of your highscore image. If everything is fine you click on "Create Post" button.
- You can submit an arbitrary number of scores per day.
- If a game can be marathoned (i.e. played for more than one hour), players are asked to report this. Then, a maximum score will be set by the organizer to avoid endless playing.
- Once you are qualified, your overall rank will be calculated and kept up-to-date.
Whenever you take a photoproof of your highscore, make sure you include a small paper with the current score code in the photo. Only photoproofs with visible and correct score code will be valid. Score codes during the tournament, so make sure that you first lookup the current score code before playing and taking a photo.
- Games must be played on an original Vectrex console. You may use a maximum of three different controllers:
1 original Vectrex controller plus 1 type of alternate analog controller plus 1 type of alternate digital controller. Not allowed are spinner controllers, paddles or sensitivity-adjustable controllers, autofire dongles, or autofire joysticks.
- To make things simple, photoproofs are sufficient to submit a score. Players are trusted to play fair and without cheating (no autofire dongles, game cheats, manipulating source codes or screenshots, and so on).
- You get points for your rank per game. The better your rank in a game the more points you'll get. 1st rank is always 100 points, points of all other ranks are lower and depend on the number of qualified players, see point table below for details. Only the highest points from six games you have played will be considered. This means that the maximum number of points a player can score is 600.
1st to 3rd Winner: 1 prize A, B, or C + Vector War T-Shirt
Prize A - A cool item for the Vectrex donated by Brett (playvectrex )
Prize B - An aluminum Knightex cartridge. Aluminum shell crafted and donated by Tony (fruktodlaren ) and PCB donated by Alexander von Knorring.
Prize C - <to be determined>
Prize Y - A "Vector War XI" wooden spoon donated by Tony (fruktodlaren )
Note: Costs for International shipping of prizes are also covered.
Availability of Games:
For qualifying in Vector War XI you have to play 6 games listed in the game list above. It can be a bit of an advantage if you have more than 6 or even all 12 games at hand.
- All original GCE/MB titles can be found on various multicartridges (e.g. Sean Kelly 60-in-1, AC 72-in-1, Madtronix Multicartridge 72-in-1 Classic (M1) , ...). Also, all all GCE ROMs can be downloaded for free.*
For some games it's good to have a manual at hand to understand game play and/or scoring.
- Vectrex Game manuals@Digitpress
- Vectrex manual²s
Previous Vector Wars
VectorX has kindly gathered a lot of interesting information about the past Vector Wars in the Vectrex Wiki.
If you want to receive a notification whenever there's any news regarding the Vector War you can bookmark this topic. At the top you click on "Actions" and choose "Bookmark". From then on you will receive an e-mail whenever someone posts in this topic.