Vectrex Tournament: Vector War X (31st Oct - 7th Nov 2020) Sept 14, 2020 14:34:27 GMT -5 playvectrex, Malban, and 5 more like this
Post by hcmffm on Sept 14, 2020 14:34:27 GMT -5
Vector War X hasn't begun, yet.
Ten years ago, Rob Maerz, well known in the Retro scene, initiated the Vector War. The Vector War is a yearly Vectrex game tournament; Vectrex players all over the world participate. This year's Vector War X (VW10) lasts one week and will take place from Sat 31st October till Sat 7th November 2020. Please note that the Vector War is for both beginner and expert players. In the Vector War you can compete with other players. It's also a good opportunity to play the Vectrex games more extensively and get to know new games. BTW, 1st November is the Play Your Vectrex Day (PYVD) so on that day you've got even two good reasons to play your Vectrex.
Below, please find all details about the Vector War X. If something shouldn't be clear, do not hesitate to ask here in this topic or send me a PM.
Please note that for qualifying only 6 out of 12 games need to be played. In round braces you'll find the threshold score (=minimum score that you have to achieve). For some games level and/or a maximum are specified.
2. Fortress of Narzod
3. Polar Rescue
4. Rip Off
5. Tour de France
7. Spinball (?)
3. Beluga Dreams
4. Every Day is Halloween
Info and Rules:
Begin of Contest: Saturday, 31st October 2020
End of Contest: Saturday, 7th November 2020
24:00 Central European Time CET/MEZ, UTC-1) (=End of Saturday)
Qualification and Participation:
To qualify for the contest you must play and submit scores of 6 games of the above game list.
To submit a score:
- Check here what the current score code is.
- Play a game and try to achieve a score which is higher than the threshold score of the appropriate game. The threshold score of a game is the number in round braces in the above game list.
- Take a picture of your score including the current score code and the name of the game on-screen (if possible) and post it here:
a.) Upload your picture to a free file hoster, see topic Free file hosting.
b.) Click on the "Reply" button and place the link provided by the free file hoster. Please use the "Preview" and check your posting and the correct display of your highscore image. If everything is fine you click on "Create Post" button.
- You can submit an arbitrary number of scores per day. There's one exception; on the last day of the tournament you can submit scores for two games of your choice, only.
- If a game can be marathoned (i.e. played for more than one hour), players are asked to report this. Then, a maximum score will be set by the organizer to avoid endless playing.
- Once you are qualified, your overall rank will be calculated and kept up-to-date.
Whenever you take a photoproof of your highscore, make sure you include a small paper with the current score code in the photo. Only photoproofs with visible and correct score code will be valid. Score codes during the tournament, so make sure that you first lookup the current score code before playing and taking a photo.
- Games must be played on original hardware. This means original Vectrex console and Vectrex controller. If a player doesn't use an original Vectrex controller for some reason he/she should please indicate this when posting his/her first scores. Not allowed are paddles or sensitivity-adjustable controllers, autofire dongles, autofire joysticks, or the usage of several types of controllers.
- To make things simple, photoproofs are sufficient to submit a score. Players are trusted to play fair and without cheating (no autofire dongles, game cheats, manipulating source codes or screenshots, and so on).
- In previous Vector Wars percentages played a big role. In this year you get points for your rank per game. The better your rank in a game the more points you'll get. 1st rank is always 100 points, points of all other ranks are lower and depend on the number of qualified players. Only the highest points from six games you have played will be considered. This means that the maximum number of points a player can score is 600.
- An aluminum Vectrex32 cartrigde donated by Tony (fruktodlaren ) and Bob (bob ).
- A copy of Vectorblade donated by Christopher (Malban ) (random prize)
- A copy of Beluga Dreams donated by Nathan (limitzer0 ).
- A wooden spoon prize donated by Tony (fruktodlaren ).
More prizes to be determined. Please note that number of winners will be limited i.e. there will be more prizes than winners which means that winners can choose a prize.
*Costs for International shipping are also covered.
Availability of Games:
For qualifying in Vector War X you have to play 6 games listed in the game list above. It can be a bit of an advantage if you have more than 6 or even all 12 games at hand.
- All original GCE/MB titles can be found on various multicartridges (e.g. Sean Kelly 60-in-1, AC 72-in-1, Madtronix Multicartridge 72-in-1 Classic (M1) , ...). Also, all all GCE ROMs can be downloaded for free.*
- SpidEx - A special binary of SpidEx will be available for free. If you want/need a physical copy of SpidEx you can order it on Alexander's Webpage tjocktv.se/.
- Vectorblade - If you don’t own a copy of Vectorblade and plan on competing, please contact Brett (playvectrex ) via PM, soon.
- Beluga Dreams - The binary for Beluga Dreams is available for free. If you want/need a physical copy of Beluga Dreams please contact limitzer0 via PM, soon.
- Every Day is Halloween - Chris (binarystar ) created a special version for the Vector War X which can be downloaded here. Please note that in the Vector War this special version must be played.
- Vectrexians is sold by Kristof Tuts (Tutstronix)
For some games it's good to have a manual at hand to understand game play and/or scoring.
- Vectrex Game manuals@Digitpress
- Vectrex manual²s
Previous Vector Wars
VectorX has kindly gathered a lot of interesting information about the past Vector Wars in the Vectrex Wiki.
If you want to receive a notification whenever there's any news regarding the VectorWar you can bookmark this topic. At the top you click on "Actions" and choose "Bookmark". From then on you will receive an e-mail whenever someone posts in this topic.